Our Purchase Protocol -
Our dogs are CKCSC-USA, AKC registered
Our dogs are CKCSC-USA, AKC registered
Our protocol: We never sell pups to people we have not met, to brokers, auctions, or pet stores. We work with YOU, personally, to help you make a quality, educated decision. We also DO NOT Ship our pups. Our email is [email protected]
1. Please Fill out the Questionnaire Below ONLY if we have pups or a pregnant queen only.
2. We will have an initial phone/online interview so we can both ask each other all the important questions required to determine if a cavalier is right for you. I am very particular as to whom I sell to. They are a rare breed and I only sell to qualified homes I choose.
3. If all goes well on both sides, you will be emailed our standard contract to review and fill out. A DEPOSIT is required when you mail back the contract to us, to hold a puppy for you. The deposit can be Cash, or Bank Check ONLY. Deposits are ONLY ACCEPTED AFTER the questionnaire is filled out AND AFTER we have spoken, AND AFTER you are approved as being a buyer for one of our available pups.
4. We will then schedule an in-person interview where you can view the health certificates of both parents, view and play with the mom, and the pup. This is usually around 6 weeks of age. I can also email you the Board Certified Health Certificates of the Parents earlier to you if you prefer, along with pictures of the Parents.
5. You will be given a comprehensive packet of dog information containing: crate training, house training, feeding schedules, dog food recommendations, the CKCSC code of Ethics, and a comprehensive list of dog items needed to purchase before you take a pup home.
Remember, there is no aggression in the breed – so don’t be concerned about male/female behavior issues – which sex to purchase - they are all sweet mushes, non yappy, very intelligent and non aggressive. When a male pup is neutered BEFORE 6 months of age he will never lift his leg on your furniture or on trees when going for a walk. He will squat and urinate like a female dog, making ownership and walks a lot more pleasant. Spay/Neutering is a requirement in the contract as well.
6. Your deposit is fully refundable up until the pups are 2 weeks of age. After that you can receive your deposit back minus $150 to relist puppy, etc...
7. The next puppy payment will be at 6 weeks of age, people love to come at this time to see their pups. They are now walking and starting to play, and super cute! The last payment is at puppy pick up time. I DO NOT DISCUSS PRICING ON EMAIL - there IS mention of the Standard Pricing of Quality, Very Well Bred Cavaliers on the FIRST page on this website - please read it. This is a RARE Dog, and a Well Bred One is Rarer! If you are Serious about Purchasing a Pup, please email me with a daytime phone number and I can answer all your questions :) We will finish filling out your spay/neuter contract as your receipt at this time as well. We will each keep a copy.
8. We work closely with you to help make the process of adding a dog to your home even more enjoyable. We give you doggy product catalogs or suggest websites and we help you choose the basic items needed for your pup, and plan out your housing set up. We are here to help!
9. When the pups are 10 weeks old and all is prepared in your home, you will be able to pick up your new family addition. We require that you take the pup’s health record we give you and the pup to your vet 24-48 hours after purchase. There, you and your vet can be assured of the health and quality of your new family member.
10. We do NOT hold onto your pup past 10 weeks of age. The pups need to bond with you, it's new forever home. Please make sure you plan your vacations, work schedule around getting the pup when it's 10 weeks of age. We do not board pups or dogs.
11. All our pups are of high quality, and are sold as loving Pets and cannot be used for breeding, raffling, auctions or resale. Even Occassional Breeding is a Full Time endeavor, Very labor intensive, scientific, and an expensive process. Professional breeders require a great deal of medical knowledge, time, commitment, patience and sometimes nerves of steel. All of our efforts produce pups of stellar quality and gives you the peace of mind that your pet is healthy and well socialized.
12. It is VERY IMPORTANT to take the time to delve into the ckcsc.org and Cavaliers of the North East websites. There is current health information on the site and you can obtain an incredible insight into cavaliers from there.
13. Even the very best vets are not always familiar with the unique hematology of the cavalier breed.
I am attaching a link to a very important article regarding cavalier platelet counts. It is important that you read the article in detail, and that you familiarize yourself with it. Please also pass this article to your vet. http://www.cavalierhealth.org/platelets.htm#IN_DEPTH
14. Cavaliers sometimes get "umbilical hernias" from the birth process. This is NOT a health issue and common in cavaliers. This is a small opening Under the skin by the belly button area, it looks like a small bubble under the skin. Most umbilical hernias close up as the puppy gets older (Reducable hernia). If it is still present at 6 months of age, your vet will fix it with a stitch or two when the spay or neutering is done. There are no residual effects from this procedure.
15. YOUR VET - it is important to get a quality vet for your puppy. It is important to keep up with yearly check ups and shot recommendations with your vet. You need to feel comfortable that you can ask your vet ANY question and be answered to your satisfaction. Be aware, like any health care professionals, there are good ones and a few bad ones, crazy expensive ones and reasonably priced ones. When it's time to spay/neuter your dog at 6 months of age, get an estimate of the total cost. I would suggest getting cost estimates from a few vets and your Local Animal Society or Shelter as well.
16. Why am I so serious about dog health testing, proper breeding protocol, having our dogs live in our home, socializing our pups from birth? See what we are constantly fighting against every day to prevent, log onto http://stoppuppymills.org/ or humanesociety.org/puppymill to see how “pet store” dogs are raised. About 50% of all puppy milled dogs never even get to the pet shops and unfortunately die from disease, neglect or congenital abnormalities.
We are always available to you to answer any questions you may have. This will be a quality purchase of a lifetime. The loving, easy going personality, dedication and snuggly warmth these dogs provide to ALL Members of the household is truly unmatchable!!!
Please email the QUESTIONNAIRE Below BACK TO ME to start the process and for a phone interview. I do NOT call people unless they fill out the questionnaire. thanks!
IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED TO PURCHASE A PUP FROM US - Please COPY the QUESTIONNAIRE BELOW into a WORD Document, Fill out ALL the Questions and Please EMAIL it to us "BEFORE" calling us so we can better Match the perfect Cavalier to you! DO NOT FILL THE QUESTIONNAIRE OUT IF WE DO NOT HAVE PUPS OR A VERY PREGNANT QUEEN AVAILABLE. email to [email protected]
Sweetdream Cavalier Questionnaire
The purpose of this questionnaire is to get better acquainted with you and your lifestyle, to insure that a cavalier would be the best fit for you and your home. Information is always kept strictly confidential. Thanks
1. What Website did you find me on? Who will be the primary caretaker of the puppy?
2. Do you have kids? This breed is great with kids. If so, the ages please.
3. Do you have other pets? If so what kinds, ages and their temperaments. Are they spayed or neutered? DO you have close friends or relatives with dogs that are not spayed or neutered?
4. What state do you live in? What is your address? Do you live in an apt., condo or house? Any yard access? Any fencing? What kind? How High? Cavaliers must be LEASHED when not in a Fenced Yard.
5. Who will feed (3 times a day) and walk the pup ( EVERY 2 Hours and MORE in the initial potty training stage, which may take weeks!) during the day. (Pups need to "go" a lot, so someone needs to be around to properly potty train a young puppy. As they get older - over 6 months of age, the frequency lessens, but they still need SEVERAL potty breaks a day.) Will someone be available to do this CORRECTLY when the pup comes home with you for several months?? (you, dog walker, neighbor...?). DO NOT EXPECT TO TAKE 1-2 WEEKS OFF FROM WORK TO TRAIN YOUR PUPPY AND EXPECT IT TO BE HAPPY WHEN YOU RETURN TO WORK FULL-TIME, AND JUST HAVE A DOG WALKER COME 1-2 TIMES A DAY. A PUPPY NEEDS MORE ATTENTION THAN THAT. You REALLY need to think about this time Commitment seriously, potty training (and loving) are the most important thing you will be doing with a new pup or dog. Please Explain your answers.
6. Have you had any pets in the past? If so, what types and where are they now?
7. Do you have a reputable vet to bring your dog to within 48 hours after you purchase a pup, as stated in the puppy contract?
8. Do you have a relative, neighbor or quality cavalier boarding facility who can help baby sit the dog if you are away for a weekend, vacation, etc? I recommend "Camp Chadwick" a terrific boarding spa just for cavaliers in CT., there is also a Cavalier boarding facility in Long Island, New York.
9. Will you spay or neuter your dog at 6 months of age or are you looking to breed your dog to have puppies?
10. What are Your and your Partner's work hours each day, outside the home? Baby Pups should not be left alone for more than 2-3 hours at a time (for potty training and proper socialization). I will be happy to discuss with you the fine details about this.... we are here to help you. Please explain your answer in detail.
11. You will probably want to attend a "puppy kindergarten" class for you and your pup to be trained together on basic skills. Are you interested in doing this? The larger chain pet stores by you usually have classes available to sign up for.
12. What is the purpose of purchasing a cavalier? Family pet, showing, breeding , therapeutic dog, etc?
13 *** Please give us your daytime and evening phone numbers so we can talk.
14 Please add any additional information you want, so we can get to know you and help choose the right pup for you. Thanks so much for your answers!! I am HAPPY to answer any questions you may have!
They are the same club, one is national, one is for the east coast.